Saturday, October 18, 2014

Back to NYC

    NYC is such a unique place. During the summer I had the chance to visit again, and this time it was for a longer period of time - 4 days, compared to the few hours I spent there when I first came to the United States. Last time around I was lugging a very heavy bag with a bunch of lenses and a heavy tripod, but thanks to my x100s all I had with me was my Billingham Hadley Pro filled with some batteries, the x100s and a JOBY tripod.

35mm 1/250s, f/8, ISO 500
A view towards Manhattan from Brooklyn

    The first day started with an early morning walk around the Brooklyn Heights Promenade. There were only some joggers around and it was incredibly peaceful. The weather sadly was dull, and it remained murky and rainy for the length of my stay which in turn lead to my decision to shoot black and white from this point on.

35mm 1/250s, f/2.8, ISO 1250
The subway train at City Hall station
  The best way to travel around New York is the subway, although it's not always comfortable. you could be waiting at the station and the temperature can easily be around 30 degrees celsius, and then the moment you get inside the train you are greeted with a chilly 15! There is no middle ground, it's always very hot or very cold (at least in June).


35mm 1/125s, f/4.5, ISO 800
Canal Street Subway Station


   Next stop - Canal Street, known for China Town and Little Italy right next to it. Many people have heard about the fake Prada and Gucci bags, but the reality is that you won't see more than some souvenirs and trinkets. What I found really interesting was the people that live and work in that area. I wanted to capture them as they are without them being affected by the presence of my camera, and the x100s was just perfect doing that. With its almost silent shutter, I just left my camera dangling on my neck and started taking pictures without looking in the viewfinder.


35mm 1/1000s, f/4, ISO 640




35mm 1/500s, f/4.5, ISO 640



35mm 1/500s, f/4, ISO 640

To be continued...



No comments:

Post a Comment